The River Wall at Wylam

The River Wall at Wylam Scars from a drawing by J W Carmichael 1836
The River Wall at Wylam Scars from a drawing by J W Carmichael 1836

J W Carmichael had been commissioned to make a series of drawings of various locations on the railway. This one shows one of the trains used for the opening ceremony on March 9th 1835. Wylam Colliery(The Haugh Pit) is on the left and the Iron-works in the center. The bridge in the distance is the original built in 1835-6 to link the industry on the North bank to the railway on the South.

Leave a Reply

Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial
Creative Commons License
Wylam Online website content by webmaster is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at https:\\wylamontyne.co.uk.